Friday, December 7, 2012

Vanbrugh College

A lot of York-related stuff has happened in the last two days, so I thought I'd update the universe!

Yesterday (6 December) I enroled online and updated my account with IT. I now have access to my York email and all the official student funness online.

Which meant I could apply for accommodation! It wasn't that exciting, especially because as a visiting student I had to just select "any college" and not choose from a listing. But I did write my top three college choices in the comments section of my application (Vanbrugh, Langwith, Halifax), which worked in my favor.

This morning I woke up and there was an offer waiting for me in my York email for a room in Vanbrugh! I wasn't expecting a response so quickly but I'm relieved to know where I'm living. I was very happy that I got my first choice for accommodation. I have a single and I'm in a catered dorm, meaning I'll have a meal plan of sorts but I'll still have access to a kitchen I'll share with my flatmates (hallmates in American) so I'll be able to cook for myself if I so wish.

I'm in Room A012 in Block A of Le Page Court, which is really great. Le Page Court is part of the Vanbrugh Nucleus, which houses the dining hall, college bar, computer facilities, and some of the history department offices.

AND CHECK OUT THIS DINING HALL. It's the Mondrian restaurant!! As an art history minor, I am so geeked out it's ridiculous. So pretty much I'm living in a really great location within the college itself, as well as on campus, since Vanbrugh is kind of right in the middle of things. It's about two minutes from the library and the grocery store, obviously the most important things haha. And since I'm studying history, it's really nice to be right by the department offices.

So, in case you couldn't tell, I'm extremely happy with my accommodation offer :-)

Here's a video about Vanbrugh (not the best quality, but you can get a sense of where I'll be living):


On top of all the accommodation excitement, I also received an email from the history tutor for visiting student about choosing courses, so that was exciting as well! I have to choose my top four choices of the courses being offered and email her a list.

I also gained access to the VLE (which is like the York equivalent of Woodle/Moodle/Blackboard), where I went through the "Welcome to History 2012" module, so I learned a lot about the history department at York. There were a ton of really helpful videos about how modules work, the difference between lectures, seminars, and tutorials, and advice from current students. It's really nice that the lecturers and professors have two hours of office hours every week, something American students can take for granted. I've heard a lot of European and British schools don't really do the whole "open office hours" thing, so I'm really happy to hear York appreciates the value of it.

Pretty much I'm getting extremely excited, more so that before, and I cannot wait to get to York in four weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment