Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It's Go Time

I'm sitting at the gate in the Detroit airport waiting for my flight. Boarding doesn't start for a little under an hour, so I thought I'd update this before I left since I have no idea when I'll be able to get on the internet once I land.

This morning was a mess of trying to finish up packing, taking things out and putting things back and space bags everywhere. Since I'm only taking one checked bag for six months, it was a struggle. In the end, my large duffle bag was 48 pounds and my carry-on duffle bag was about 20 pounds (4 of them belonging to an evil GRE book ugh). I have so many other bags though- I broke the "one personal item" rule because I have a purse and a "faux longchamp" with my computer and my travel documents in it, along with my duffle bag. Managing all of this will probably be awkward and a workout, but it won't be as bad as me trying to manage two suitcases and having no hands free in London!

My main anxieties are coming from the time crunch once I land for me to get through customs. The last Arcadia bus will leave Heathrow at 12:30, and my plane is supposed to land at 11:00. I have to pick up my bag, go through customs, and change terminals before 12:30, which is not a given. Apparently parts of customs in London have been going on strike randomly this year and my mother's friend told us customs would take two hours or more from their travels recently. If I don't catch the bus, I won't be stranded, but I have to make my own way to the hotel and that's stressing me out the most. I have to pay out of my own pocket for a train into central London and a cab to the hotel from the station. Aghhh I really don't want to have to deal with that within my first hours in London.

My other worries are of the social anxiety variety. Mostly, it's hard to establish a social system in a new place wherever you go when you're new. But add in being in a different country while having to navigate an entirely new university and education system, and having to put yourself into an established routine of those who are living with you in the flat, is a little worry-inducting for an introvert like me.

But mostly, I am so very, very, very excited!! I have been dreaming of studying in the UK since I was 13, and now, at 21, I'm finally living that dream. It's unreal. I still don't really believe it's happening, and I probably won't until tomorrow morning when I land in London. This is such a wonderful opportunity and I plan to make the most of it :-)

See you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment