Monday, January 7, 2013

York Orientation

Last night was quite a time. We started out in the kitchen, just hanging out as a big group and laughing at British Cosmo and the like. We headed out to town around 10:30 in two taxis. It's odd how much everyone uses taxis! It's going to be something I have to get used to. It's quite cheap if you split the fare between 3-4 people to get into the center of town (the University is kind of on the edge of the city in Heslington). We went to a bar called Stone Roses which has a classic rock, British music scene, with the Beatles everywhere haha. I really loved it, it had a really great vibe. Everything is so much cheaper than London! It's great. I also discovered Vimto, it's a soda that's kind of like a berry cream soda. We stayed there for almost two hours and a few more friends showed up. We sang happy birthday to Emily at midnight and she was very happy for her birthday!

We then headed over to Willow's, which is like the York version of the UG in Wooster haha. But it was quite fun, they played good music (Backstreet Boys!) although there was some ridiculous drama going on (it was entertaining to me on the outside, but that's because this isn't my life haha). I ended up leaving around 2:30 after a stop at McDonald's (their version of Mom's apparently?) and we took a taxi home. I went straight to bed because I had orientation in the morning!

What's interesting is that the grades for the first year of uni don't actually count/aren't on the transcript for one's degree. You only have to pass with a 40% to continue on the modules for your major, so even though all my flatmates have some kind of exam or essay due this week, they're not nearly as concerned about it as I (or my friends at Wooster) were our first year. I'll be taking second year modules so my classmates should be more serious about their work, since those grades definitely count. There are some pros and cons to this system- it allows you to get used to uni academics without fear of poor grades- but it also allows you to be aloof about your work as well. Unless you're a ridiculously driven person like myself, I don't think most people would still put forth the same kind of effort for grades that don't affect your degree. And not having classes every day of the week allows for constant partying.

I got up without feeling too dead, and after some disorientation, I found my way to the building for orientation  it was right next to Vanbrugh, but hidden behind a block so I was confused. The orientation was for visiting students and Postgraduate students, so there wasn't a huge there at all. We went over a ton of information, from the college system, student support, study skills, different language programs (I will be able to continue Arabic here!!) including assistance for those for whom English is a second language  and the history of York and places to make sure to see. We had a lunch break, and then there was an organisation fair with different student support groups, the library and IT, YUSU (the student union), banks, and the Erasmus Society. We could go around and sign up for information, get pamphlets, and lots of fun free things (like pens and buttons, and best of all, a free diary- planner in American- from YUSU with important events already written in!).

We finished that early, so Megan showed Emily, Grace, and I where to pick up our student cards. My picture is so ridiculous haha. We also picked up a ton of pamphlets in the Information Centre, so now I've got a stack four inches tall to look though about the Uni and the town itself. We went back for the fire safety briefing that was mandatory, which was quite something- they definitely were working the shock value to get us to listen to the rules haha. Then the Erasmus Society gave a presentation- they seem really great and I'm going to get involved with them! Erasmus is the name for study abroad for EU students within EU universities, however, York's Erasmus Soc lets all visiting and international students get involved. They have some really cool language tutoring and buddy programs. They're having a coffee date tomorrow afternoon, so I'm going for sure. It would be awesome to get to know some Europeans alongside some Brits!

Next were enrolment and registration procedures for visiting students, so I'll be running all over campus the next few days to have the History and Archaeology Departments sign my form, and attend all the meetings I need to. There was a library tour scheduled for the last event, but Megan, Emily, and I went in search of our supervisors instead. Megan and I have the same one, and she is FANTASTIC. I've been emailing her back and forth this week trying to figure out my modules. I originally applied for courses in both History and Archaeology, but I received a really odd acceptance from Archaeology- I was accepted to all the courses I listed, but I wasn't guaranteed a place in half of them, so I just decided that I should just take all history modules because I had been accepted to enough of those. So I sent in my module preference form with all history modules. Dr Alberts emailed me to ask what proportion of my credits I wanted in each department because my form appeared to be only history credits, so I emailed her back to explain what had happened with archaeology, and she got everything sorted for me and got me a place in the modules I wanted!! So I'm very, very excited, and grateful for a wonderful supervisor!

The modules I've been placed in are Artifact Analysis Practical in the spring term and Artifact Analysis Group Project in the summer term from the archaeology department (40 credits total) and the 40 credits in history are split between Thinking Through History Part I (a methods and theory type course) and Childhood and Adolescence c. 1300-1600. I'm very happy with my modules, and now I've got to get my forms signed and actually register for them! I'm also registering for an Arabic module through the Languages For All program at York! I'll get to take two terms of Arabic, and I'll receive a certificate at the end (and I'm taking it for a very discounted price). This is great for my (potential) Middle Eastern Studies minor and will prevent me from forgetting my Arabic! So I'm extremely pleased that I somehow managed a combination of all my interests I wanted to explore at York- archaeology, medieval history, and a language!

We then decided to explore York to try to find some supplies- apparently hangers are IMPOSSIBLE to find in York. Megan, Emily and I walked into town. York is such a lovely, quaint place, I am in love. Madonna was right, it is just like a British Siena! Walking by the medieval wall and gates into the central city was wonderful! We found Morrisson's, a superstore that the study abroad office suggested we use (Costcutter on campus is much more expensive than other stores). It was huge! I got everything I needed, including hangers and a laundry bin! I bough toiletries (shampoo, etc.) because it allowed me a lot of weight and space in my luggage to buy it here, and I got some basic food things as snacks and some tea! I also bought a proper mug because my flatmates sit down and have proper tea with mugs and everything, so I needed one as well. It says "Keep Calm and Drink Tea" :-)

The only problem was walking back. I'm guessing it was 1.5-2 miles walk (although maybe it seemed longer with the groceries and the rain) each way from campus to the store, and we are silly and didn't call a taxi to pick us up. So we struggled along back to campus and I thought my arms might fall off. Of course the first time it chooses to rain while I'm in England I'm lugging groceries back to my room without a hood or hand free to hold my umbrella! Haha. It's been oddly dry the week I've been here.

I got back and fell over, then began to unpack all my purchases. I'm nearly all done setting up my room- all my clothes are where they need to be now, on hangers or in the laundry bin- so I'll take some pictures tomorrow so you can get an idea of my room! My flatmates thought I was insane when I told them I had walked back haha. We sat around and discussed various things- like ethics of euthanasia, the death penalty, religion, etc.- and it was quite interesting and a good conversation! Bin Laden's death came up, and when I told them I had seen Obama, they all about peed their pants. Everyone in England LOVES Obama haha it's so great. Seriously, they were all freaking out so much, and then I told them I had seen Michelle twice and Bill Clinton once, they all about lost it. Yay swing state perks :-p

We went to dinner around 7. I had picked up my catering card earlier, so I was all set to try out some Vanbrugh food! They had vegetable lasagna which is like my favourite ever, so I was well pleased. And then it came with a huge glomp of mash (mashed potatoes) and some green beans and peas and a dessert. And all that was 5?!?! (that's the equivalent of one swipe thing on my card)- but drinks are extra (my juice was 3.34?!) unless you drink water from pitchers in the dining room, which I didn't realise, awkward American moment. The lady was lovely and let me swap my drink for a dessert (I don't understand the maths either). But dinner was delicious. I'm sad that they renovated the Piet Mondrian dining hall, so now it's just kind of greys and greens and blues and not like a painting :-( But we had a good time!

I meant to get ready to go out again for Emily's proper birthday night out, but I fell asleep on my bed for an hour, and then I ended up skyping my mother for nearly 3.5 hours (oops), so everyone had already left to go into town. It's just as well I didn't go, I'm completely zonked from the past week! And it was good to actually talk with my mother through means other than this blog and email. And my cat came and visited the computer as well haha.

So the next few days will be some running about and sorting out my modules and departments, some meetings for my courses, and beginning some reading before my first seminars next week! I probably won't post everyday about those things because that would be ridiculously self-absorbed and boring, but I will be posting some pictures very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment