Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Trip from Platform 4 (and no quarters)

Another exhausting day! We got up early to finish packing and get breakfast. I somehow managed to get everything back in my bags without too much trouble. We waited in the library- we were told to be there at 9:30- but our taxis didn't arrive until nearly 10, which was irritating. We also had nearly no instruction from Arcadia about what was happening this morning, so we didn't know where to be dropped off or what train we were on- they hadn't even given us tickets- so it was very aggravating and stressful.

So we called the emergency line for Arcadia from King's Cross and it turned out an Arcadia rep was meeting us there to give us tickets and taxi money. So we finally found her and everything was sorted out. We got our tickets around 10:15 and our train was at 11, so we went on a search for Platform 9 and 3/4! It was in the main terminal by the ticket counters with a small queue and a conductor ordering people about. Grace, Emily, and I waited in line while Megan watched our bags. They had Gryffindor and Ravenclaw scarves for you to put on in your picture, so I got to look like a real Ravenclaw :-)

Platform 9 3/4!!


King's Cross Interior

They post the platform number 15 minutes before the train departs, so around 10:40 we found out we were leaving from platform 4 and rushed along in the crowd to our coach- we were near the back so it was a project. And then figuring out what to do with our luggage was another insane issue altogether- there was one little luggage closet with two shelves the size of the toilet for the whole coach, and we all had huge bags, not to mention the other people on the train! But we figured it out eventually, and then we found our seats. We had four together around a table, so it was kind of like having our own little car on the Hogwarts Express :-p there were tons of other students on the train as well! It all felt very Harry Potter-y haha. There was even a trolley that came around with snacks and things- but no Bertie Botts.

The scenery was lovely, although the weather was a bit odd. It was either so cloudy and foggy you couldn't see past the hedges at the edge of the railway tracks, or it was blue skies and sunny and blinding. I just sat and listened to music and didn't fall asleep, surprisingly. It was strange because our ears would all pop every time we went through a tunnel, we couldn't figure out how that was happening so quickly when it was more severe than on an airplane.

Scenery from the train in a sunny area


Once we arrived at the station in York, we had to haul our stuff off the train while others were getting on, and it was terribly awkward. But we found our way to a lift, and then took a subway (subways = underground pedestrian walkways, not a train) to the exit of the station to catch a cab. Megan and I are housed closest to each other so we took one, and Emily and Grace took another. I was dropped off first at Vanbrugh, but there was no porter at the reception desk to check me in! So I stood about for 20 minutes, and when no one had showed up and someone else told me to go to Wentworth College, I finally called David from Arcadia and he took about 25 minutes calling someone at York before he called to let me know the porter would be there in 10 minutes. It was ridiculous because there were three of us there to check in and there was no porter? It was odd. But it was easy enough, I got my keys and lugged my bags up the one flight of stairs to my room.

I'm in such a great location, it's fantastic. I'm right above the porter and the student bar, common room, and dining hall, and the history department is the floor above me. I'm also right in the center of campus and by the nice lake, so I'm very pleased. I had ordered a bedroll that was supposed to be here when I arrived, but it wasn't, so I had to run after the porter (he was on his way back out?) and have him get me one- I got the last one in the supply apparently. I started to work on moving in, and the closet is rather small and the dresser is even smaller, but I think I'll manage. I do have my own sink and a ton of shelves over my desk, which is very nice. There is a bathroom and a shower room right next to my room at the end of the hall, and I'm very close to the communal kitchen, so I'm pretty well located within the hall itself!

Megan and I went to the campus grocery store to pick up some supplies, but they didn't have what we needed so I just bought some food for a late lunch. I finished up unpacking and took a little break, and then a lot of shrieking started happening in the hall as people got back from break and reunited after their holiday. I went out into the hall and then I started meeting the five billion people (ok, 24) that live on my floor. (We're technically in three "flats" but really it's all one big group for the most part.) Everyone is all really nice, and very loud and crazy, but in a good way. I've been spending a lot of time with a few of the girls- Jess, Sabrina, Emily, and Charlotte- and I'm getting to learn the ins and outs of the social dynamics of the hall. We ordered Domino's for dinner and a large here is the size of a medium in America haha. But it's still good! I've pretty much just spent most of the afternoon hanging out with different bits of the group and getting to know everyone who's here so far- a few people will get here tomorrow. Some of them actually have exams and papers due this week, so they all are planning on doing studying and work this week, which is good because I've got some meetings and such to go to! They're all catered as well and have group meal times so hopefully I can join in on that!

Tomorrow is Emily's birthday so we're going to celebrate beginning tonight. They're planning on showing me around York so I can get to know the area and their friends some more! I'm very excited, even though I'm totally zonked after today.

I will post some pictures later- the internet here is a little wonky. I have York Orientation tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll learn some good information and get my modules sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment